
I have this thing for writing things out. If I'm thinking about something, writing it down helps me organize my thoughts. If I find a really fantastic quote in a book or poem, I don't feel complete until I write it down. More practically, it really helps me to remember vocabulary words or the content of a document I have to read for school if I write down the definitions or make notes in a notebook as I go.
I got a beaaautiful new journal when we went to Barnes and Noble last week, and I'm gonna give you a peak of what I've written in it so far.
Page 1 and 2 - Quotes from Emily of New Moon Series (if you haven't read these books, GORUNTOTHELIBRARYANDCHECKTHEMOUT. Now.)
"A wonderful month followed. A month of indescribable roses, exquisite hazes, silver perfection of moonlight, unforgettable amethystine dusks, march of rains, bugle call of winds, blossoms of purple and stardust, mystery, music, magic. A month of laughter and dance and joy, of enchantment infinite." ~ L.M. Montegomery
Page 3 - Quotes from My Utmost for His Highest (I highly, highly recommend this daily devotion book.)
"Have I ever been carried away to do something for God not because it was my duty, not because it was useful, nor because there was anything beyond the fact that I love Him?"
"Never let the sense of failure corrupt your new action."
Page 4 - List of Thoughts
- lists help me get things done
- I want to be a consumer of good things, but I also want to be a creator of good things.
- don't get bogged down by thinking about mistakes or shortcomings - get better at what you don't do well, work and discipline yourself so that you can improve!
- pray more.
"Though the sound overpowers
Sing again, with your clear voice revealing
A tone
Of some world far from ours
Where music and moonlight and feeling
Are one."
~ To Jane, Percy Bysshe Shelley
(by the way, Mr. Shelley, the place where music and moonlight and feeling are one? that's heaven.)
Page 6 - Names that are COOL
Rubye
Iluvia (Spanish word for "Rain"...technically not a name, but it would make a cool one!)
Sara Teasdale (poet. I am so stinkin' jealous of her last name)
Vera
Page (Like Paige, except without the i. could be an awesome middle name for an author's daughter. just saying.)
Gygory (This name reminds me of a Gargoyle.)
And don't worry, I'm not going name my kids anything weird. I just like interesting names! :)
Page 7 - English Assignment (a creative paragraph using a figure of speech)
The song sounded like a long, cool sip of lemonade. “Play it again,” the girl said. The boy bent his head and rubbed his calloused fingers across the strings. He strummed a rumbling brown chord that reminded the girl of an old glass jar filled with fireflies or a sticky bottle of root beer. The girl closed her eyes and tried to capture the tune like a photograph. As the last notes wafted through the air, the girl took in a long breath. “It sounded different this time,” she said. “Playing a song like that twice,” he said, “is like trying to iron a dream and tuck it neatly beside your socks in the dresser drawer.” The girl looked at the boy and smiled. “Play me another,” she said, and the boy did.
So do you guys ever get the urge to write anything out? Found any cool names or quotes? I'd lovelovelove it if you share 'em :)
6 comments:
My favorite quotes are so numerous, but I love yours too (am going to have to add them to my list!)
I love finding passages and verses in Psalms and Proverbs (KJV, because the language is so lovely), but my some others are...
"Better to take pleasure in a rose than to put its root under a microscope."- Oscar Wilde
"I tried to grasp the meaning of it all but could not quite understand, like not understanding the lyrics of a song although the melody is clear and beautiful."- From Other Bells For Us To Ring by R. Cormier (NOT a suggested read, the author is overly fond of language and graphic material. Bleh.)
"Great was her surprise, when the morning sun at last crept into her room, to discover she already wide-awake- and awake, more over, with a curious sense of beginning to live so intensely that it frightened her..."- from Sanditon by Jane Austen and "Another Lady"
I'm a collector of names! Yay for unique ones. :D
Male favorites:
Felix
Skelly
Fiske
Ransom
Carmine
Breck
Female favorites:
Claire
Phebe
Wren
Violet
Ariadne (My mother almost was named Ariadne... isn't it beautiful?)
Not all super unusual, but I like *pretty* names. :D
-Brianne Danae
(really, come visit me! www.therewebe.blogspot.com)
What a great post! And I understand all too well what you're saying: I have to write everything down! And I've never heard of those books, but I will definitely check them out!
And goodness, I am such a quote person. I've actually got a journal dedicated just to quotes, haha :D
~Lauren :)
Also- I somehow missed your writing assignment before! Gasp! It's beautiful; you have such a knack for language.
Thanks for commenting on my blog! Feel free to visit often, and I'll be back for sure. :)
My Upmost for His Highest is one of my favorite devotionals of all time! It has impacted me so much.
I completely get where you're coming from. Sadly, I don't write down a lot of things...=( Mostly, it's all on the last several pages of my sermon notebook. =P
The writing assignment at the end...oy. Absolutely lovely. I wish I had assignments like that!
Post a Comment