Jane Austen is amazingly clever. She just randomly sprinkles all these great quotes throughout her novels!
I read Pride and Predjudice while we were on vacation, and fell in love with it once again. I couldn't put it done! I hadn't read since I was around eleven, and it didn't make a bit of sense then. But this time, I devoured it. (I read the Mr. Dary/Elizabeth propsal scene while sitting in a swing near the edge of the lake near sunset...it was beautiful!)
Anyways, I jotted down some of my favorite quotes while I was reading, and thought I would share them with you!
"To be fond of dancing was a certain step towards falling in love."
"They found Mr. Bennet still up. With a book, he was regardless of time;"
"He is just what a young man ought to be," said she, "Sensible, goodhumored, lively; and I never saw such happy manners! - so much ease, with perfect good breeding!"
"He is also handsome, " replied Elizabeth, "Which a young man ought likewise ought to be, if he possibly can. His character is thereby complete."
"That is one great difference between us. Compliments always take you by surprise, and me never." (Elizabeth, refering to Jane)
"He certainly is very agreeable, and I give you leave to like him." (Elizabeth, again)
"Affection of candour is common enough - one meets with it everywhere. But to be candid without ostentation or design - to take the good of everybody's character and make it still better, and say nothing of the bad - belongs to you alone." (Elizabeth, speaking of Jane)
"Miss Bennet was therefore established as a sweet girl, and their brother felt authorised by such commendation to think of her as he chose."
"That the Miss Lucases and Miss Bennets should meet to talk over a ball was absolutely necessary."
"I could easily forgive his pride, if he had not mortified mine." (Elizabeth, speaking of Darcy)
"Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have other thinks of us."
"We all begin freely - a slight preference is natural enough; but there are very few of us who have heart enough to be really in love without encouragment."
Paraphrase - Giving a ball is a subject which always makes a lady energetic. (Darcy..tee hee!)
"A lady's imagination is very rapid, it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment." (Darcy)
"I often think," said she, "that there is nothing so bad as parting with one's friends. One seems so forlorn without them."
"My child, let me not have the grief of seeing you unable to respect your partner in life." (Mr. Bennet)
"I am the happiest creature in the world. Perhaps other people have said so before, but not one with such justice. I am happier even than Jane; she only smiles, I laugh. Mr. Darcy send you all the love in the world, that he can spare from me." (Elizabeth...I think this one is my very favorite!)
What's your favorite Jane Austen book/movie?
2 comments:
I've always felt like there is a good quote from Jane Austen for pretty much every situation in life ever.
My favorite JA book is Northanger Abbey. I love that story. That's also my favorite Jane Austen movie. Oh my goodness that movie is soooo amazing!! (the 2007 one)
But I have to say that on my Stanza app on my itouch I keep P&P always open. So whenever I have free time to do so I can just go and read and enter into that wonderful world :)
This is true!
Mmm, Northanger Abbey *is* good! Especially like the movie...Mr. Tilney is pretty much AWESOME!
Post a Comment