Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I'm silly...

and there is no denying it.

In my online literature class, we are reading "The Two Lives of Charlemagne." For a fun extra assignment, we were asked to complete the unfinished story of Stracholf the Glazier (glass maker) found at the very end of the book. The author starts this story, but stops mid-sentence - and THAT'S how the book ends!

I think I had a little too much fun with it.

Still, I wanted to share it with you :)

Here's the beginning of the story (which I didn't write):

His (Charlemagne's) liberality reached even to the lowest grades: insomuch that he once ordered all hsi attire to be given to one Stracholf, a glazier, and a servant of St. Gall. When the wandering servants of the soldiers heard of this, they laid an ambuscade for him on the road and tried to rob him. Then he cried out: "What are you doing? You are using violence to the glazier of the emperor!" They answered: 'You can keep your office but..."

And here is the ending I wrote to the above un-finished story:
“…we demand that you hand over your sequined beret and your luminous light-up neck ware.” Stracholf stared at the rogues, his eyes as round as hard-boiled eggs. “Never, you rapscallions! I shall give you my rad leather jacket, my oh-so-fuzzy-and-adorable bunny slippers, or my flat-billed Yankees hat –anything, accepting what you require.” The servant who had spoken crossed his arms, a sneer on his pompous and protruding lips. “What song shall we request at your burial, glazier? For we shall not let you live unless you give us your hat and necklace.” It was glorious, poignant picture. The crowd of seething men. The one man, fighting, alone, for justice. After a moment which felt like hours, Stracholf spoke. His righteous voice was low, quiet, and resolved. “I can not go against what my heart tells me I must do. No, though you threaten me with death most cruel, still more awful would be the knowledge that I have failed the cause, that noble cause of fashionable clothing. I could never face my king again. Do what you will. I shall not be moved.” Then kneeling, he laid bare his noble neck. Oh Stracholf, you shall not be forgotten! Your noblest of deeds will be ever-remembered, and fathers shall tell their children about the splendid action of Stracholf the Glazier for years to come.

Yeah, it's lame. But I had fun!

4 comments:

Anna Olivia said...

Oh wowzers, reading your sidebar description, we have so many similar interests!! ;) Musical theatre being one of them. <3

Kaley Grace said...

Really? How cool! I love meeting people who have similar interests..and musical theatre is SO much fun, isn't it? What is your favorite role that you have played?

Anna Olivia said...

hah! I wish I COULD play a role. ='( Maybe someday. I'm a Broadway fanatic, my favorite musical being Les Miserables. Do you know anything about that one? If you do, I'm hosting Les Miserables Week at my blog, if you're interested in joining in the fun...you still have time to participate. =)
What roles have YOU played?

Kaley Grace said...

Oh, sorry! I getcha', girl! Musicals are awesome. Wouldn't it be amazing if people just broke out into song in real life.

I've heard of Les Miserables, and it sounds *amazing*. I've heard some of the songs, and bits of the plot, and even sang one of the songs from it at a competition, but I've never watched it! How sad is that? So, I'm really not very familiar with it. :( (I really want to read the book, too! Have you read it?)

Well, my favorite roles have been Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, Chava in Fiddler on the Roof, and Gertrude McFuzz in Seussical :)