
Beautiful, fresh, real, and natural. A fabulous adaption of a wonderful story.

The cinematography was stunning. I love the sea shots especially. From the beautiful opening credits to the shots which showed the ocean waves echoing the various moods of the two sisters, the water added a whole new depth of beauty and emotion. The music was breathtaking, as well.

As for the casting, Elinor, playing by Hattie Morahan, was perfect - demure, gorgeous in a quiet, natural way (and the colors of her clothing were amazing - the costumer did a great job), sensible, yet passionate. I admire her deep and careful acting - her eyes speak volumes.

Marianne (Charity Wakefield) was beautiful, sweet, and girlish (I want her hair so badly). Though the script didn't display her brains as much as they deserved (that is, as much as they were in the book), her performance was engaging and enjoyable. Really fabulous.

Mrs. Dashwood, played by Janet McTeer, was superb. Lovely, gracious, and bit overly-sentimental. The book emphasizes Mrs. Dashwood's similarity to Marianne, and this adaption displayed that well.
Margaret, performed by Lucy Boynton, was charming and cute. Not exceptional, just...cute!


Edward, played by Dan Stevens, was really better in the movie than he is in the book! But I'm not complaining. I loved his character. He was uber handsome (his blue eyes are inexcusably enchanting), kind, manly, and yet still Edward. HIS PROPOSAL IS THE BEST - and so is Elinor's acceptance. One of my favorite proposal's of all time, just because it was so simple and sweet and beautiful.

Colonel Brandon (David Morrissey) was quiet, protective, and brave, older, but still handsome and gentlemanly. Everything Colonel Brandon ought to be. I was much more resigned to his marriage to Marianne in this adaption than in the 1995 version.

Willoughy, performed by Dominic Cooper, was really the weakest part of the movie. His character was all off. Instead of being amiable, pleasing, and just plain irresistible, he was creepy-looking and obviously selfish from the start. It was waaay too obvious that he was a bad dude.

I won't mention all the minor characters, but I was a little disappointed with Mrs. Jennings, and a lot disappointed with the Lucases. Alas. Henry and Fanny Dashwood were great, and their son. was. hilarious. The Miss Steeles didn't seem *quite* right, but they weren't bad.

My favorite scenes were...
Edward's proposal
Elinor and Marianne in their room: Marianne tells Elinor of Colonel Brandon's proposal
Marianne and Willoughby visit their "future home"
Elinor lonely wanderings of the shore, mountainside, and market, when she thinks Edward has married Miss Steele

Funny, I'm raving about this film, but at first I didn't like it. There were a few weird camera angles at the beginning, Willoughy was creepy, the unneccesary first scene (just skip it - you don't need it to get the plot. Though it's very shadowy and you don't really see anything, it's worth skipping), and there were some things I missed from the 1995 version, all of which gave me doubts. But by the middle, I was completely and utterly won over, and I went back and watched at least twice more (during Christmas break...it was my bedtime story). It's one of my favorite movies now, and I like it JUST as well, if not better, than the 1995 version, (which saying a lot, since the 1995 version is SO great.)

You need to watch this movie. It's worth buying.
(images via http://englishtea.sweet-innocence.org/sensesensibility/picspam2.php)
8 comments:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE (yes. :P) this movie! Favorite ever. :)
Loved this review! ANd agreed 100% with you all the characters.
It bothered me that that they made Mr Willoughy so bad guyish. Because it ends up not making sense why the girls like him so much.
I always liked the Mrs Jennings character so it made me sad that she wasn't very well done.
Everything was sooo beautiful in this movie! I really enjoyed it as well :)
Hi Kaley,
I doubt you remember me, but I used to go to your church and went to Miss suzie's classes...I'm about the same age as Levi, and I have two older brothers Jacob and Skyler...I LOVE your blog..any time you post, it makes me so happy!!
Well,
Happy Blogging!
Bethany K. :)
I've watched the 1995 version of Sense and Sensibility. And now I want to watch this version!
I just found your blog, and I wanted to thank you for your "Love so amazing, so divine" post. It really helped me!
Oh, and I love the empty mailbox post. Hehe! :)
{Far From Perfect} - Haha, so do I!! :)
Ellie - I know!! That's what bothered me too. And Mrs. Jennings was such a great character. *sigh*
BB - Bethany! It's been forever since I've seen you...it's great to hear from you! :) Aww, thank you so much!!
Jemimah - You should! It's really tremendous :)
Inna - I'm so glad!!
I've only seen this once, and had mixed feelings about it, since I just adore the old version (except for a couple things). My main peeve with the new one was Willoughby. I totally agree--he was obviously a creep from the very beginning. AND he wasn't even good-looking. >:(
Polka Dot, I can understand your mixed feelings - I didn't like it very much at first, but now...I really really love it. And yes, the old one is just amazing.
WHY did they pick him? Exaaactly. If he's gonna be a jerk, he might as well be an attractive jerk. ;)
Post a Comment