Thursday, April 16, 2009

"You might say everyone of us is a fiddler on the roof"

"A fiddler on the roof. Sounds crazy, no? But here, in our little village of Anatevka, you might say every one of us is a fiddler on the roof trying to scratch out a pleasant, simple tune without breaking his neck. It isn't easy. You may ask 'Why do we stay up there if it's so dangerous?' Well, we stay because Anatevka is our home. And how do we keep our balance? That I can tell you in one word: tradition!" - Tevye

So, it's over :) After two nerve wracking auditions, a call back, and, at last, the final moment of looking at the cast list, it's all done! And I'm about ready to fall asleep and *stay* asleep for a few days :) But first, I HAVE to record some stuff about the auditions..I'm bound to forget everything if I don't.

Let me give you a little peep into the auditions: You are given a number when you first came. Everyone is seating in a group in fold-out chairs. You're shivering; not only from the cold, but from excitement - and nervousness :S When it's your turn to stand before the table of directors, you walk up, say your name and song, and begin to sing. This is it. You're first - and most important - chance to impress the director. When you're done, you feel like a bird set free! You're done!! Hurrah!! Only a few more days to go :)

Mostly, the auditions consisted of singing, dancing (fun, extremely easy stuff...just what I like) and reading from the script (my VERY favorite part). The first night of auditions was just singing, then a little bit of reading. The second night was longer and more intense. We read, danced, and stood in a line in front of the director (Mr. Rodger Moon, by the way. He's really nice, which is awesome) and what him look from one person to the other. You're just *willing* him to catch your eye. Sometimes he does...and other times, he doesn't :) Everyone did so well! It was SO fun to watch :)

For the call backs, the director called up different groups to sing for different parts. The girls sang part of "Now I have Everything" with a guy...it was a really pretty song, but I'd never heard it before. Sightreading. Nooooooo! After sitting for an hour, we got called up to read different parts. Then, we were told we could leave.

When I got home, I ate a piece of pizza, cake, AND chocolate :) :) I hadn't really been hungry before, but I definitely was now!! I wasn't all that nervous. I knew God had everything planned out, and my worring wouldn't help at all.

Then, came Thursday. The day of the cast list. Supposedly, it was going be posted at 10. We got there right on the dot, and no cast list. We drove around a little, and came back. Still no cast list. If you've ever been in a play before, you know this is one of the most suspenseful parts. So, I was sitting in the car, about to die...weell, maybe not quite :) So, finally, 20 minutes AFTER 10, we say the stage manager, a sweet old lady by the name of Ginger, walk out with two sheet of paper. Ahhh, rapture. We walked up. I was almost afraid to look.


TEVYE....................................................................................... VANCE BLACK
GOLDE................................................................................... ANNETTE HUNT
TZEITEL (DAUGHTER 1).......................................................... LARA LIGNITZ
HODEL (DAUGHTER 2).............................................. MADISON BOOKOUT
CHAVA (DAUGHTER 3)............................................. KALEY BRANSTETTER
SHPRINTZE (DAUGHTER 4)...................................... BETHANY BOOKOUT
BIELKE (DAUGHTER 5)...................................................... AMY BALLINGER
YENTE, THE MATCHMAKER..................................... FAVONA SUSSMANN
MOTEL, THE TAILOR............................................................. CHRIS SCHELP
PERCHIK, THE STUDENT....................................................... ALEC CARSON
LAZAR WOLF, THE BUTCHER.............................................. JOHN DALTON
MORDCHA, THE INNKEEPER............................................. STEPHEN LONG
RABBI........................................................................................ BRENT COLLE
MENDEL, RABBI’S SON...................................................... CALEB STINSON
AVRAM, THE BOOKSELLER .......................................... JOHN KUHLMANN
NACHUM, THE BEGGAR............................................................. RON DAVIS
GRANDMA TZEITEL.............................................................. SUZI LENHART
FRUMA-SARAH.......................................................................... FRAN COLLE
CONSTABLE / CHORUS........................................................... DAREN LOVE
FYEDKA, RUSSIAN........................................................... SEAN RETHMEIER
SHAINDEL, MODEL’S MOTHER........................................ KITTY FUESHKO
THE FIDDLER.................................................................. TRISHA VINEYARD
VILLAGERS ................................. HALEY BARTELL, LAUREN BLAKEBURN,
........... BRADY BOOKOUT, KATHERINE CAUGHLIN, ISAAC CERVANTES,
......... VICKI GRAVES, ASHLEY HODGES, DAWN JACKSON, MYLOAN LE,
..................................... BEN PAULS, SANDRA PERKINS, MALORY SCOTT,
................................... SARAH SCRUGGS, EMILY SMITH, BEN SOUTHARD
RUSSIANS............. JACOB COLLE, JOSIAH COLLE, GILBERT SANTILLAN,
................................................................................................. MATT TINSLEY

Alright, you probably didn't want to see ALL that :) Sorry :)

So, it's going to be amazing. I'm SO excited. Sisters with a bf and friends with my amazing villager and russian buddies, playing a fun part, it can't get much better!! Woo hoo!!!!

Only down falls:
1) Some really amazing people didn't get in. I know how hard that must be, and I wish so badly that they could have gotten in too.
2) The actress playing Hodel is...less than pleasant. I don't mean to be harsh, but she is full of her self, flirty and bossy. She and and the girl playing Tzeitel are not the best of friends. Hopefully that'll be ok...I'm just going to stay close to my two younger sisters and my villager peoples.
3) The guy playing Fyedka is an awful singer (at least he doesn't have to sing) kinda of not so bright, and rather ugly. In fact, very ugly.
I don't mean to complain too much. It'll be AWESOME. I'm so glad to have gotten in. But there will be some harships :)

First rehearsal is on Monday! I can't wait!!

Isn't God Amazing?

Kaley Grace, Chava

2 comments:

Haleymay said...

Wow...the call backs sound really harsh! I'm sure I would about die from nervousness.

We will adopt you into our little village family. You and Amy can hang with us YMCA peeps :).

Monday will take forever to get here...aaah!!

Kaley Grace said...

Haha, it did get it bit boring waiting for everybody else to sing. Amy and Bethany didn't even get to read!

Aww, thank you! If we got shunned from the big happy village family...we would be devastated :)

I KNOW! I can't wait!!